Skip to main content

Accessory: Hats

Hats: they're one accessory I can't really get into. I never enjoyed having "hat-hair".

There are so many different hats on the market these days. Back in the mid-2000s, all I could remember were those Von Dutch trucker caps. In retrospect, they were hideous. I'll be forever thankful that my mother didn't let me get one of those.



One of the best hats for protecting your face from the sun are those gigantic floppy hats. Unfortunately, they end up looking like monstrosities eating my head. These hats are quite feminine and great for the beach. They're just one of the many hats I cannot pull off but I love them on people who can.
Marilyn Monroe looking very elegant.

A Woodstock Hippie here... most likely.

Aria Montgomery (Pretty Little Liars) in a cute floppy hat that is perfect for the beach.

The fedora is one of those hats I adore on men. They're classy and masculine... or at least they were. I'm not sure why there's so much hate with the fedora lately. They're one of those hats that make you a bit more dressier.
From the Maltese Falcon.

Lily Collins
Of course, it's easy to mix the fedora with the trilby. It has a shorter brim and not-so-dressy. This is why the fedora's getting the hate. We confuse the trilby with the fedora and it's the guys who wear the trilbies who give it a bad reputation.

Rachel Bilson
Ren from NU'EST. I fell for that Jill by Jill Stuart hat. Of course, Ren's a looker too...

Cloches are those hats I wish I could wear but can't. Definitely vintage 1920s but on me, it looks like I'm a 9-year-old playing dress-ups. It makes my face look bigger and that isn't flattering when you've already got a big round face.

Clara Bow in a cloche.

Angelina Jolie in The Changeling

Blair Waldorf 
Strangely, bowler hats suit me. I like how quirky they are. They're also known as derby hats in the US. I can't help but to think of Charlie Chaplin when I see a bowler hat.

Keira Knightley

Recently I've seen bowlers with ears. They're adorable but I still prefer the plain old bowler. I'd feel ridiculous wearing anything with ears.



Then there's the porkpie - a shallow hat with a flat top that resembles a pork pie. This hat is not flattering on me but I'm slightly envious of those who can pull it off.

Lester Young

Mischa Barton

Snapback caps have been everywhere in street fashion. Normally you'd see this in Hollywood on hiphop singers but I'm seeing them on k-pop idols and even in Japanese street fashion models. I'm not much of a cap person though. In case I have to clarify, the Snapback cap has a flat brim while the trucker cap has a curved brim.

G Dragon
Rihanna

Ayumi Seto (Zipper model)
There's definitely one hat I really want to see hit the shelves: the top hat. Of course, I could only dream because it can easily cross the line into costume territory. They're a little bit too dressy for something casual but I'm all for dressy. Bring on the Mad Hatter.

Katsuragi Ryo from Liar Game 2 (played by Rinko Kikuchi)

Misty Day from American Horror Story: Coven (on right).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration: Catherine Deneuve - The Hunger

The Hunger (1983) is the last film collaboration Catherine Deneuve had with Yves Saint Laurent. 80s fashion suited the thousand-year-old Egyptian vampire, Miriam -- accessories were bold and flashy, the shoulder pads making one seem more confident and powerful. In fact, every time I use my YSL lipstick, I'm reminded of this movie -- something about YSL and the flashy gold packaging makes me recall this film. This vampire movie had its flaws but I will acknowledge that it was beautiful, aesthetically speaking. My favourite shots Here are the highlights of the outfits: First outfit: Possibly jumpsuit with belt, 80s Cat Eye glasses, drop earrings, leather gloves with eyelets Very minimalist here with a navy blazer and white shirt. Love the raspberry lip. Flashy gold earrings here.  Veiled hat, large stud earrings, white coat and a lizard brooch (love that detail; I believe in Ancient Egypt, lizards symbolise divine wisdom)  Perhaps my favourite dress. A drop nec

Review: W.Dressroom Dress & Living Clear Perfume

 I came across W.Dressroom while I was looking for an alternative to candles. With endorsements from Kpop idols/celebrities such as BTS Jungkook and Wanna One/ NU'EST Minhyun, they're popular amongst kpop fans. Retailers claim it to be affordable luxury, taking a similar concept to that of Jo Malone (making a scent available in various forms). The most easily accessible version is the mist, however, you can find candles, hand cream, reed diffusers and more of the range from YesStyle. I purchased mine from The Sesame Shop and arranged a pick-up, but this option is only available to Sydneysiders. Green Grape Sorbet and Peach Blossom are both very fruity. The floral edge is more noticeable in the grape than the peach. Peach Blossom smells straight up like peach. April Cotton is powdery and clean, much like laundry detergent and soap. Out of the three, I recommend April Cotton. It's the only scent I'd consider purchasing again. However, the quality leaves something

Inspiration: You Who Came from the Stars/ My Love from Another Star

The world has witnessed the power of product placement, after many of the lipsticks worn by Cheon Song Yi (played by Jun Ji-hyun, also known as Gianna Jun) were sold out and has a wait list. This includes YSL Rouge pur Couture in #52 Rosy Coral, which had been  sold out worldwide . It was later released that the lipstick shade in question was made from various products and none were from YSL. AmorePacific was one of their sponsors and provided most of the products used while  YSL just got a free ride . Nevertheless, Rosy Coral was a popular shade prior to the drama release but it probably wouldn't have sold out if it weren't for the rumour circulating. I've put some time aside for a drama marathon and watched all the episodes. I joined the masses of people, swept in the craze to purchase what she wore and even to eat her favourite food & drink: chicken and beer . I think it's mostly Jun Ji-hyun's charisma that sells these products. While I don't feel com