It was during the hiatus on this blog that my makeup habits came to a cessation. I didn't know who I was wearing the makeup for, but it was not for myself. I started wearing makeup, partly to conform to those around me and partly to hide my insecurities. Needless to say, that separate blog never really kicked off.
When I revived this blog, I was a born-again makeup newbie.
I thought I'd share some of the items I've actually been enjoying that are relatively new to me, and some of the older finds from when I started regularly wearing makeup at the beginning of last year.
Maybelline had always been one of my favourite brands to go to for eye makeup, and it is still the same today. I used to wear their Falsies mascara and loved the false lash effect it gave me but second time around, I wasn't so keen. Nevertheless, Maybelline continues to put out good products for a strict budget.
- Hypersharp liquid liner: Stila was my go-to liquid liner but I put it off in favour of trying cheaper alternatives. It turns out, I prefer the flexibility of a brush tip and I find it easier to control my flick when doing cat liner. This was a recommendation from a girl I met in line for a Mecca opening, so thank you!
- Eye Studio Gel Liner: I enjoy the versatility of a gel product but it's mostly my laziness that deters me from reaching for my gel liner. It's the inconvenience of having to clean your brush after every use. However, if I have the time, I will use it.
- Color Tattoo Metal in Barely Branded: This is the colour suitable for my base colour, hence I use it all over my lid up to my brows. It serves as a sticky base for powder to adhere to, but also gives me a quick look if I need to be out the door. This is perhaps my most loved product.
- Instant Age Rewind Concealer: This is a good concealer for the under eyes and the ease of the sponge tip in application makes it quick to get that step done.
- Color Drama Pencil in Nude Perfection: I enjoy the formulation of these lip crayons but I'm a little uncertain about how this colour looks on me -- not sure if that Kylie Jenner colour looks good. I would definitely look into more of these pencils when I whittle down my lip stash and want nice statement colours for a special occasion.
Other high-street products I enjoy:
- Essence Lip Liners: These are AUD$2 for a pencil -- good value for a decent pencil because I don't use them often and it doesn't make any sense to splurge if I don't use them often.
- Covergirl mascara: At the moment, I'm using the Clump Crusher but I found that I prefer the natural look that Covergirl's formulations give me nowadays. I don't have to worry about large flakes landing on my face, or smudging.
- Max Factor Creme Puff Blush in Nude Mauve: My favourite blush and my favour for it trumps my NARS blushes. I like how velvety soft the powder is and the finish it gives -- it's a subtle shimmer so it doesn't look flat. This is a little pricier on the high-street market but there are regular promotions, so it's not that bad.
- Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks: A smooth and creamy formula, these are definitely one of Revlon's classics. Their current formulation does not contain any particular fragrance. My lipstick will need to be replaced soon -- I'm estimating I'll reach the end of the bullet by December. However, it will not likely be a Revlon because I have my eye on one of Rimmel's new Kate Moss range of nudes.
- Australis Fresh & Flawless pressed powder: I enjoy the soft texture of this powder, though it kicks up a lot of dust. Fortunately, they've released a few shades to add into their dismal colour range -- from 3 shades to 6 that they now have. Their previous lightest shade, Natural, is what I have but it's a tad too orange.