Skip to main content

Recommendations: Wayward

For those of my readers who read manga and want to venture off into the world of comics, I've come across a series that I think is a wonderful transition: Wayward.
Issue #1 Standard Cover (the one I have)
Issue #1 Variant (love this cover)
Issue #2 Standard Cover
I loved the first issue and I loved the second just as much. This comic had a gathering of fans before the release but it was after the first issue release that I came across it. I love how it features certain aspects of manga I'm familiar with - school and Japanese mythology. Definitely not straying too far from manga but still distinct enough to call it a comic.

I would not recommend this to younger readers - it is rated M for Mature and this rating is actually on the back cover. Initially I had no clue why it was rated mature except for the amount of violence featured in the first issue but the second issue raises self-harm and mutilation. Because of the sensitive nature of this theme, I now understand why this comic has the rating. It definitely shocked me because from my first impression of the cover I saw (which was one of the variants in Issue #1, shown above), it was seemingly innocent and appeared to be more like a "fluffy" read but I didn't realise that in the background, there's some razor sharp teeth. Jeez, I should read into covers more. These darker aspects of the comic ring true to comics in general - a lot of them have darker themes which can put off prospective readers.

Nevertheless, I've always enjoyed Japanese mythology because of the darker side to it. Similar to how I feel about the Celtic 'Good People'. Reading the two issues so far, I can see that there has been a lot of research put in so that we have an accurate depiction of Japanese culture and mythology.

The main character, Rori, is half-Irish-half-Japanese and in some ways, I can identify with her and probably a lot of people can too. It's that feeling of being trapped in the middle where you feel like you don't have a sense of belonging to either culture. You've come to accept one but you will never truly be a part of it.

I think this is definitely one of the best comics I've come across so far and that is why I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone. Particularly the manga-readers who love Japanese mythology in their manga and don't mind the dark themes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration: Catherine Deneuve - The Hunger

The Hunger (1983) is the last film collaboration Catherine Deneuve had with Yves Saint Laurent. 80s fashion suited the thousand-year-old Egyptian vampire, Miriam -- accessories were bold and flashy, the shoulder pads making one seem more confident and powerful. In fact, every time I use my YSL lipstick, I'm reminded of this movie -- something about YSL and the flashy gold packaging makes me recall this film. This vampire movie had its flaws but I will acknowledge that it was beautiful, aesthetically speaking. My favourite shots Here are the highlights of the outfits: First outfit: Possibly jumpsuit with belt, 80s Cat Eye glasses, drop earrings, leather gloves with eyelets Very minimalist here with a navy blazer and white shirt. Love the raspberry lip. Flashy gold earrings here.  Veiled hat, large stud earrings, white coat and a lizard brooch (love that detail; I believe in Ancient Egypt, lizards symbolise divine wisdom)  Perhaps my favourite dress. A drop nec

Review: W.Dressroom Dress & Living Clear Perfume

 I came across W.Dressroom while I was looking for an alternative to candles. With endorsements from Kpop idols/celebrities such as BTS Jungkook and Wanna One/ NU'EST Minhyun, they're popular amongst kpop fans. Retailers claim it to be affordable luxury, taking a similar concept to that of Jo Malone (making a scent available in various forms). The most easily accessible version is the mist, however, you can find candles, hand cream, reed diffusers and more of the range from YesStyle. I purchased mine from The Sesame Shop and arranged a pick-up, but this option is only available to Sydneysiders. Green Grape Sorbet and Peach Blossom are both very fruity. The floral edge is more noticeable in the grape than the peach. Peach Blossom smells straight up like peach. April Cotton is powdery and clean, much like laundry detergent and soap. Out of the three, I recommend April Cotton. It's the only scent I'd consider purchasing again. However, the quality leaves something

Inspiration: You Who Came from the Stars/ My Love from Another Star

The world has witnessed the power of product placement, after many of the lipsticks worn by Cheon Song Yi (played by Jun Ji-hyun, also known as Gianna Jun) were sold out and has a wait list. This includes YSL Rouge pur Couture in #52 Rosy Coral, which had been  sold out worldwide . It was later released that the lipstick shade in question was made from various products and none were from YSL. AmorePacific was one of their sponsors and provided most of the products used while  YSL just got a free ride . Nevertheless, Rosy Coral was a popular shade prior to the drama release but it probably wouldn't have sold out if it weren't for the rumour circulating. I've put some time aside for a drama marathon and watched all the episodes. I joined the masses of people, swept in the craze to purchase what she wore and even to eat her favourite food & drink: chicken and beer . I think it's mostly Jun Ji-hyun's charisma that sells these products. While I don't feel com