Skip to main content

Random: Travels

I thought I'd do a bit of an update about what I had been up to.

In the first weekend of September, I made a trip to Melbourne for a weekend with my sister and my friend. Whilst my sister attended the Madman Fest, I went around the CBD with my friend and explored the laneways, arcades and the Queen Victoria market.


It takes more than a weekend to fully explore what Melbourne has to offer but I was quite content with what I was able to do during that weekend. This was more of a luxury trip, in which we indulged on food and stayed at a hotel.

My friend and I stopped by Hardware Societe for breakfast, which came highly recommended by one of my nursing school friends, and we had the fairy floss hot chocolate at the Hash Specialty. I window-shopped most of the time and caved into a purchase of a box of macarons from La Belle Miette to bring back home. My family dug into them before I had the chance to take photos.



Late October to mid-November, I had a placement in Tweed Heads after I finished up my semester. I stayed in Queensland and spent my weekends exploring the Gold Coast and Byron Bay. In my free time, I'd head out to the beach at Coolangatta or just go up the RT Peak Memorial Park to just watch the waters from above, which has a view of Kirra Beach too. I met a few backpackers during my stay.


I didn't do much shopping around in the Gold Coast but I did buy a shirt from H&M and some travel-sized items from Bath & Body Works at Pacific Fair. I stopped by Social Eating House because it was listed on Google maps. It was nice -- but I'm not much of a foodie and I ate alone, which only made me feel sad. I recommended this place to a friend who appreciates the dining experience but I can't see myself going back unless I were with friends. 

As for the walk to the hospital on the weekdays, I walked passed the Tweed River. 


During my first day there, I came across this bush turkey. I followed that turkey for this photo:


I particularly enjoyed Byron Bay's bohemian vibe. I took a trek to the lighthouse on a hot day but I had gorgeous views along the way.


I was lucky that during that weekend, they held the monthly market. I didn't know about it until I arrived. I wanted to buy all the crystals I saw there. I picked one, and bought a candle and a tin of tea.



This trip was very important to me in so many ways. It served as a reminder not to lose the bigger picture. It showed me how screwed up the world is but that's okay. I shouldn't lose sight of my passion and I should go for it because not everyone is lucky enough to know what they want to do. Most of all, I got a break from Sydney because it was wearing me down. The first Monday back, I forgot how busy the commute was and it was a little bit of a shock, but I missed having frequent public transport. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration: Catherine Deneuve - The Hunger

The Hunger (1983) is the last film collaboration Catherine Deneuve had with Yves Saint Laurent. 80s fashion suited the thousand-year-old Egyptian vampire, Miriam -- accessories were bold and flashy, the shoulder pads making one seem more confident and powerful. In fact, every time I use my YSL lipstick, I'm reminded of this movie -- something about YSL and the flashy gold packaging makes me recall this film. This vampire movie had its flaws but I will acknowledge that it was beautiful, aesthetically speaking. My favourite shots Here are the highlights of the outfits: First outfit: Possibly jumpsuit with belt, 80s Cat Eye glasses, drop earrings, leather gloves with eyelets Very minimalist here with a navy blazer and white shirt. Love the raspberry lip. Flashy gold earrings here.  Veiled hat, large stud earrings, white coat and a lizard brooch (love that detail; I believe in Ancient Egypt, lizards symbolise divine wisdom)  Perhaps my favourite dress. A drop nec

Review: W.Dressroom Dress & Living Clear Perfume

 I came across W.Dressroom while I was looking for an alternative to candles. With endorsements from Kpop idols/celebrities such as BTS Jungkook and Wanna One/ NU'EST Minhyun, they're popular amongst kpop fans. Retailers claim it to be affordable luxury, taking a similar concept to that of Jo Malone (making a scent available in various forms). The most easily accessible version is the mist, however, you can find candles, hand cream, reed diffusers and more of the range from YesStyle. I purchased mine from The Sesame Shop and arranged a pick-up, but this option is only available to Sydneysiders. Green Grape Sorbet and Peach Blossom are both very fruity. The floral edge is more noticeable in the grape than the peach. Peach Blossom smells straight up like peach. April Cotton is powdery and clean, much like laundry detergent and soap. Out of the three, I recommend April Cotton. It's the only scent I'd consider purchasing again. However, the quality leaves something

Inspiration: You Who Came from the Stars/ My Love from Another Star

The world has witnessed the power of product placement, after many of the lipsticks worn by Cheon Song Yi (played by Jun Ji-hyun, also known as Gianna Jun) were sold out and has a wait list. This includes YSL Rouge pur Couture in #52 Rosy Coral, which had been  sold out worldwide . It was later released that the lipstick shade in question was made from various products and none were from YSL. AmorePacific was one of their sponsors and provided most of the products used while  YSL just got a free ride . Nevertheless, Rosy Coral was a popular shade prior to the drama release but it probably wouldn't have sold out if it weren't for the rumour circulating. I've put some time aside for a drama marathon and watched all the episodes. I joined the masses of people, swept in the craze to purchase what she wore and even to eat her favourite food & drink: chicken and beer . I think it's mostly Jun Ji-hyun's charisma that sells these products. While I don't feel com