Skip to main content

Event: SMASH!

If someone were to ask me what I've been doing during my winter break, I'd say that I didn't do much. I've been lounging around, being as lazy as I possibly could before I return back to school. I had dinner with some friends... and bought tickets to an anime convention.

SMASH! is the Sydney Manga and Anime Show for short and I've been wanting to go for years but I kept putting it off (I've had excuses from family events to school work). However, the convention does offer a little bit of fashion like Japanese street fashion and Steampunk. Unfortunately, I missed the Steampunk panel but I did make it for most of the Harajuku fashion panel held by Electric Alice.

During that event, they had four volunteers to put on a Lolita coordinate. Two people to dress up the other two, that is. The guy in the pink won. Doesn't he look pretty?

Before the "mannequins" dress up
They've already put on their blouse.
Clearly you can see who the victor is. 

Of course, there was the mini fashion show but there were some problems with the music so they walked without it. I can't put up all the models because some were very blurry pictures. Even the ones I put up are of inferior quality. I'm sure they would post the official ones on their website or somewhere else. They ended the panel with a raffle. I didn't win anything. I'm never lucky when it comes to raffles.




While I was missing out on the steampunk panel (I didn't realise the time. There were so many stalls!), I walked to the Electric Alice stall to purchase some things. I should have made it clear that the steampunk panel was early in the morning and the Harajuku fashion panel was during the afternoon, before the convention ended. So in the morning, I was lurking around the stalls.

I ended up getting the 6% Doki Doki Metallic Milky Way Clip in light pink and gold. I've been wanting to get one of them for a while but I wasn't too keen on having to pay for shipping (seeing as Electric Alice is based in Sydney and I was going to SMASH!).

I also got the fluffy 2-way star clip as well. I believe it's from Chocomint.



It came wrapped up nicely in a pink-white striped paper bag sealed with an 'Electric Alice' sticker. They were nice enough to give me a pink balloon on a stick but that burst during the Voice Acting workshop and gave the people around me quite a fright. Especially the girl sitting right in front of me.

Anyway, you can find Electric Alice here: http://www.electricalice.com/

There were lots of cosplayers and I thought I'd share some photos I took of them, even though they're not related to fashion.



I left the photo of my outfit last for those who were interested. It's probably the first photo of me in Lolita. It was quick photo so I was making a very strange face. It was a fun day but I was so tired at the end. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration: Catherine Deneuve - The Hunger

The Hunger (1983) is the last film collaboration Catherine Deneuve had with Yves Saint Laurent. 80s fashion suited the thousand-year-old Egyptian vampire, Miriam -- accessories were bold and flashy, the shoulder pads making one seem more confident and powerful. In fact, every time I use my YSL lipstick, I'm reminded of this movie -- something about YSL and the flashy gold packaging makes me recall this film. This vampire movie had its flaws but I will acknowledge that it was beautiful, aesthetically speaking. My favourite shots Here are the highlights of the outfits: First outfit: Possibly jumpsuit with belt, 80s Cat Eye glasses, drop earrings, leather gloves with eyelets Very minimalist here with a navy blazer and white shirt. Love the raspberry lip. Flashy gold earrings here.  Veiled hat, large stud earrings, white coat and a lizard brooch (love that detail; I believe in Ancient Egypt, lizards symbolise divine wisdom)  Perhaps my favourite dress. A drop nec

Review: W.Dressroom Dress & Living Clear Perfume

 I came across W.Dressroom while I was looking for an alternative to candles. With endorsements from Kpop idols/celebrities such as BTS Jungkook and Wanna One/ NU'EST Minhyun, they're popular amongst kpop fans. Retailers claim it to be affordable luxury, taking a similar concept to that of Jo Malone (making a scent available in various forms). The most easily accessible version is the mist, however, you can find candles, hand cream, reed diffusers and more of the range from YesStyle. I purchased mine from The Sesame Shop and arranged a pick-up, but this option is only available to Sydneysiders. Green Grape Sorbet and Peach Blossom are both very fruity. The floral edge is more noticeable in the grape than the peach. Peach Blossom smells straight up like peach. April Cotton is powdery and clean, much like laundry detergent and soap. Out of the three, I recommend April Cotton. It's the only scent I'd consider purchasing again. However, the quality leaves something

Inspiration: You Who Came from the Stars/ My Love from Another Star

The world has witnessed the power of product placement, after many of the lipsticks worn by Cheon Song Yi (played by Jun Ji-hyun, also known as Gianna Jun) were sold out and has a wait list. This includes YSL Rouge pur Couture in #52 Rosy Coral, which had been  sold out worldwide . It was later released that the lipstick shade in question was made from various products and none were from YSL. AmorePacific was one of their sponsors and provided most of the products used while  YSL just got a free ride . Nevertheless, Rosy Coral was a popular shade prior to the drama release but it probably wouldn't have sold out if it weren't for the rumour circulating. I've put some time aside for a drama marathon and watched all the episodes. I joined the masses of people, swept in the craze to purchase what she wore and even to eat her favourite food & drink: chicken and beer . I think it's mostly Jun Ji-hyun's charisma that sells these products. While I don't feel com