Skip to main content

My Style: Fragrance Wardrobe

I have briefly discussed my love for fragrances here but for today, I'll share my collection so far. I think my perfume collection is quite modest but I do have more than the average girl. I have a mixture of niche and designer fragrances and one celebrity fragrance. The appeal of niche perfumery is mostly exclusivity - you're not going to smell like the next girl (well, there's less chance you will). If you are deep into the art of perfume, you'd appreciate the unique compositions and the quality that it offers but niche can be a hit-or-miss. They generally are more expensive but you get what you pay for.

The fragrances I own are lean towards autumnal. They don't work well for the hotter months, only because some of these scents can be overpowering in the summer.

My Fragrance Wardrobe
1. Dior J'adore: My very first fragrance. A heady sophisticated scent with jasmine and magnolia but there is a subtle sweetness from the melon. I wore this during high school. Sweet fruity florals were not my thing. These days, the heady aroma can induce headaches for me, so I rarely use it. Luckily it's a mini-size.

2. Jessica Simpson's Fancy Nights:  I generally don't care for celebrity scents but this one was unique. It's a love-hate perfume because some people find it too masculine and hate the patchouli but for patchouli and amber lovers, this is a love. This may be the only celebrity scent I'll ever own.

3. Annick Goutal Petite Cherie: I'm almost halfway through this bottle. It was my signature. This scent works every season except summer because I find the muskiness too overbearing in the summer. It's the scent of the ingenue. All feminine and clean...

4. Guerlain Shalimar: My newest addition. This is a classic and is like the "No. 5" of Guerlain in that this is their best selling perfume and is iconic. I say that because the people I know generally know what Chanel No 5 is but they've never heard of Shalimar. This is probably the perfume I'd wear for any sort of intimate setting.

5. Juliette Has a Gun - Lady Vengeance: It's got rose and patchouli. The composition isn't very original for something niche. It can be quite strong though and I think there's something appealing about it. It's not a dangerous assassin but a femme fatale seductress. I wear this when I feel the need to kick butt because I find this scent empowering for some reason.

6. Les Exclusifs de Chanel - Coromandel: The Chanel exclusives line are in selected counters and their boutiques. These offer quality on par with niche and differ from their normal range in exclusivity. This range is harder to access but it's also more expensive, not by much. Coromandel is probably the least like "Chanel" to me and I love it. The earthy patchouli is something I adore because many of the patchouli perfumes I have a refined patchouli. There's also the sweetness of frankincense and that hint of white chocolate.

I did make a video of my perfume collection before I got my hands on Shalimar. I was bored one weekend and decided it was a good idea to film it and I put way too much exposure on.


I adore the history and the legends behind some of Guerlain's classics. My mother hates Guerlain probably because of "Guerlinade" - that accord that is typical of all of their perfumes. I find it makes the perfume dressier and harder to wear, which is why I'd only reserve Guerlain for special occasions.
I took advantage of the sales a little while ago and decided to buy some perfume. Of course, the sale did not include Chanel or Dior (much to my disappointment, not that I expected a deal from them). Alas, when it came to picking out the perfume, I was caught between La Petite Robe Noire Couture and Shalimar.


The SA who served me insisted I get Shalimar and eventually decided for me. She was generous to give me a miniature with my purchase. Although it was not Couture  (she could not find it but she found the original EDP), I will treasure this little thing and never ever use it. It's just too adorable to open and use. She did give me a sample of Couture to test.


I think partly why I'm so drawn towards Couture is that it reminds me of the aspects of Miss Dior Le Parfum I adore. It's fresher so it is more appropriate for spring and it has an effervescent quality to it. Miss Dior Le Parfum has a lot of warmth from the amber, hence better reserved for cooler weather. Couture has a smoother composition than its original, in my opinion.

I realised I haven't really strayed much from the beginning of this blog. My fascination with perfume has only grown. I have yet to smell the perfume the inspired the name of this blog but my perfume-loving friend and I share a fantasy of owning a perfume line together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration: Catherine Deneuve - The Hunger

The Hunger (1983) is the last film collaboration Catherine Deneuve had with Yves Saint Laurent. 80s fashion suited the thousand-year-old Egyptian vampire, Miriam -- accessories were bold and flashy, the shoulder pads making one seem more confident and powerful. In fact, every time I use my YSL lipstick, I'm reminded of this movie -- something about YSL and the flashy gold packaging makes me recall this film. This vampire movie had its flaws but I will acknowledge that it was beautiful, aesthetically speaking. My favourite shots Here are the highlights of the outfits: First outfit: Possibly jumpsuit with belt, 80s Cat Eye glasses, drop earrings, leather gloves with eyelets Very minimalist here with a navy blazer and white shirt. Love the raspberry lip. Flashy gold earrings here.  Veiled hat, large stud earrings, white coat and a lizard brooch (love that detail; I believe in Ancient Egypt, lizards symbolise divine wisdom)  Perhaps my favourite dress. A drop nec

Review: W.Dressroom Dress & Living Clear Perfume

 I came across W.Dressroom while I was looking for an alternative to candles. With endorsements from Kpop idols/celebrities such as BTS Jungkook and Wanna One/ NU'EST Minhyun, they're popular amongst kpop fans. Retailers claim it to be affordable luxury, taking a similar concept to that of Jo Malone (making a scent available in various forms). The most easily accessible version is the mist, however, you can find candles, hand cream, reed diffusers and more of the range from YesStyle. I purchased mine from The Sesame Shop and arranged a pick-up, but this option is only available to Sydneysiders. Green Grape Sorbet and Peach Blossom are both very fruity. The floral edge is more noticeable in the grape than the peach. Peach Blossom smells straight up like peach. April Cotton is powdery and clean, much like laundry detergent and soap. Out of the three, I recommend April Cotton. It's the only scent I'd consider purchasing again. However, the quality leaves something

Inspiration: You Who Came from the Stars/ My Love from Another Star

The world has witnessed the power of product placement, after many of the lipsticks worn by Cheon Song Yi (played by Jun Ji-hyun, also known as Gianna Jun) were sold out and has a wait list. This includes YSL Rouge pur Couture in #52 Rosy Coral, which had been  sold out worldwide . It was later released that the lipstick shade in question was made from various products and none were from YSL. AmorePacific was one of their sponsors and provided most of the products used while  YSL just got a free ride . Nevertheless, Rosy Coral was a popular shade prior to the drama release but it probably wouldn't have sold out if it weren't for the rumour circulating. I've put some time aside for a drama marathon and watched all the episodes. I joined the masses of people, swept in the craze to purchase what she wore and even to eat her favourite food & drink: chicken and beer . I think it's mostly Jun Ji-hyun's charisma that sells these products. While I don't feel com