Skip to main content

Event: SMASH! 2014

Yesterday, I attended SMASH - Sydney Manga and Anime Show. The last time I attend SMASH, it was in 2012 and it was held in the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre. Since it has closed for renovations, this year it was held in Rosehill Gardens. I think SMASH has grown larger with more events spanning two days but in terms of the number that had showed up, I didn't notice a huge difference compared to 2012 but that might be because everyone was sprawled out instead of being cramped into one building. I was only able to attend Saturday's convention and everything was last minute so I ended up having to pay more for a ticket. For the full prices, it was $35 for Saturday, $30 for Sunday and $55 for both days.

Sailor Moon plushes!

Arpakasso! (I didn't buy any but I had my eyes on the one with the pink and blue scarf)
Can you spot No-Face?
I was left to explore the convention alone as soon as I entered the gates. My sister had organised to meet up with her tumblr friends and I had brought no one along with me, so I spent about an hour or so (maybe two) in the arts and crafts area doing origami and making Teru Teru Bozu dolls (which I realised I'm terrible at).
A crane and a failed attempt at a cherry blossom.

Gameboy cube craft
Shuriken
I made a couple of them
The grandfather was my first attempt. When I showed these to my sister, she bluntly stated they were "so bad" and "What the hell? They're not cute at all."
I attended the Kawamoto Toshihiro panel and watched him do a quick sketch in nine minutes. He is an animator and worked on Cowboy Bepop, Wolf's Rain and Fullmetal Alchemist. I also attended the Kotono Mitsuishi mini panel (voice actress; some of her works include Usagi Tsukino in Sailor Moon and Misato Katsuragi in Neon Genesis Evangelion) because I wasn't able to make it to the larger panel in the morning. There was a panel for Reika, a prominent cosplayer, held at the same time as the Kawamoto Toshihiro panel. Of course, I have no photos of those panels I attended because there were strict rules of no video or photography at those events but people still manage to sneak in some photos. I obviously watched the Madman Cosplay Competition - it's the major event at SMASH.

These were some of my favourite cosplays on the competition (except the Attack on Titan fan). Another one of my favourites was a Goddess of the Sun (Amaterasu) from Cardfight!! Vanguard but I couldn't find her for a close-up picture. Her costume was beautiful and that headdress would've been hard to have on all day because of the fragility of it. Getting into bathroom stalls would've been difficult or walking through cramped areas.
Lady Thor and someone in a Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) uniform after the competition
King and queen in Studio Ghibli's Whisper of the Heart. The queen had wings with some sort of colourless plastic material and fake flowers all over the cape. So happy I got the photo as I was heading towards the exit because I was trying to find them.
Here's a slideshow with most of the cosplayers in the competition except everything was drowned by daylight peaking through the curtains and blurry because of an old phone camera (my phone ran out of battery in the morning).

The competition ended with a Fairy Tail skit, which I think was everyone's favourite. I don't watch Fairy Tail but I know my sister and one of my friends are fans of it. I thought it was well-written and everyone was entertained and cheered or laughed whenever they should. Apparently the balloon was not supposed to burst and leave a cloud of dust but it looked like everything was planned including the balloon burst.


Nevertheless, all the cosplayers worked hard to get theirs done and all people with skits clearly practiced thoroughly, despite mishaps with music and projector screens (displaying the wrong character).

I didn't bring much money with me, so I couldn't buy a lot of merchandise or various products that the artists were selling. My sister ended up buying a couple of posters and prints, badges and bookmarks though. So this was what I ended up getting:


You can buy the 'Goat and Boy' bookmark online here.

I didn't dress up or cosplayed for the event, so I was in usual getup for uni.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration: Catherine Deneuve - The Hunger

The Hunger (1983) is the last film collaboration Catherine Deneuve had with Yves Saint Laurent. 80s fashion suited the thousand-year-old Egyptian vampire, Miriam -- accessories were bold and flashy, the shoulder pads making one seem more confident and powerful. In fact, every time I use my YSL lipstick, I'm reminded of this movie -- something about YSL and the flashy gold packaging makes me recall this film. This vampire movie had its flaws but I will acknowledge that it was beautiful, aesthetically speaking. My favourite shots Here are the highlights of the outfits: First outfit: Possibly jumpsuit with belt, 80s Cat Eye glasses, drop earrings, leather gloves with eyelets Very minimalist here with a navy blazer and white shirt. Love the raspberry lip. Flashy gold earrings here.  Veiled hat, large stud earrings, white coat and a lizard brooch (love that detail; I believe in Ancient Egypt, lizards symbolise divine wisdom)  Perhaps my favourite dress. A drop nec

Review: W.Dressroom Dress & Living Clear Perfume

 I came across W.Dressroom while I was looking for an alternative to candles. With endorsements from Kpop idols/celebrities such as BTS Jungkook and Wanna One/ NU'EST Minhyun, they're popular amongst kpop fans. Retailers claim it to be affordable luxury, taking a similar concept to that of Jo Malone (making a scent available in various forms). The most easily accessible version is the mist, however, you can find candles, hand cream, reed diffusers and more of the range from YesStyle. I purchased mine from The Sesame Shop and arranged a pick-up, but this option is only available to Sydneysiders. Green Grape Sorbet and Peach Blossom are both very fruity. The floral edge is more noticeable in the grape than the peach. Peach Blossom smells straight up like peach. April Cotton is powdery and clean, much like laundry detergent and soap. Out of the three, I recommend April Cotton. It's the only scent I'd consider purchasing again. However, the quality leaves something

Inspiration: You Who Came from the Stars/ My Love from Another Star

The world has witnessed the power of product placement, after many of the lipsticks worn by Cheon Song Yi (played by Jun Ji-hyun, also known as Gianna Jun) were sold out and has a wait list. This includes YSL Rouge pur Couture in #52 Rosy Coral, which had been  sold out worldwide . It was later released that the lipstick shade in question was made from various products and none were from YSL. AmorePacific was one of their sponsors and provided most of the products used while  YSL just got a free ride . Nevertheless, Rosy Coral was a popular shade prior to the drama release but it probably wouldn't have sold out if it weren't for the rumour circulating. I've put some time aside for a drama marathon and watched all the episodes. I joined the masses of people, swept in the craze to purchase what she wore and even to eat her favourite food & drink: chicken and beer . I think it's mostly Jun Ji-hyun's charisma that sells these products. While I don't feel com