Skip to main content

My Style: Vintage Compacts

There's something alluring about vintage compacts. Not everyone gets it.

These compacts were used to keep powders in and that was precisely what I intended to do with it. If I was purely in it for the sake of collecting, I'd probably buy them in mint condition, with box and original sifter and puff.

I'd imagine someone like Dita Von Teese would carry her powder around in one of these ornate compacts. She probably does. I think it really does add that touch of glamour that makes touching up on powder a little more enjoyable. Particularly when some cheaper high-street makeup doesn't come in sturdy packaging.

Of course, compacts aren't limited to Stratton. Kigu and Estee Lauder are just some other brands. There are various guides online that help you date the compact and how to reuse a compact. There are websites out there that offer replacement puffs and sifters too, if using another brand of puff doesn't feel authentic enough.

The two compacts I have store different things. The black enamour one was designed to hold loose powder but since it's quite old (early 1950s), it did not have the original sifter. It does have a self-opening inner lid to prevent spillage of powder. Perhaps a smaller pan of pressed powder could fit in but I haven't tried. I bought this compact because of the mechanism of the inner lid and the design of the enamour. Not because I wanted to use it for myself. The golden one is relatively newer (1980s-1990s) and had the original sifter and puff, all unused, but I threw away the old puff because it was degrading. It was a convertible compact, meaning it could store both loose powder and pressed. I removed the sifter for the pressed powder.

I decided to depot my Rimmel Stay Matte powder but because it was my first time, it was a very messy endeavour. I ended up breaking quite a bit of the powder while I was prying into the container.


Remnants of powder on the table underneath pan.
I placed the pan in to make sure it actually fit into the compact, which it did. I was slightly insecure about the pan falling out so I taped a magnet to the compact and the pan just clicked right in. The compact is not made of a magnetic metal, so tape was necessary.

Pan in compact.
I was quite happy with the result in the end. Although I wish I hadn't broken so much of the powder.
The good thing about these compacts is that majority of them are not expensive to collect. Unless you're going for the more sought-after ones (which might start at around $300... or maybe in GBP), you can get a compact for less than $20. You might even hunt down one cheap at a garage sale. 

That's not to say that you can't find these compacts new. It's just that the vintage ones - especially the used ones - have so much history behind them. At the same time, I feel like I can't use the used ones because of that same reason. I feel the need to preserve them. So I opted to use the gold one (which was unused... someone probably received it and never used it).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration: Catherine Deneuve - The Hunger

The Hunger (1983) is the last film collaboration Catherine Deneuve had with Yves Saint Laurent. 80s fashion suited the thousand-year-old Egyptian vampire, Miriam -- accessories were bold and flashy, the shoulder pads making one seem more confident and powerful. In fact, every time I use my YSL lipstick, I'm reminded of this movie -- something about YSL and the flashy gold packaging makes me recall this film. This vampire movie had its flaws but I will acknowledge that it was beautiful, aesthetically speaking. My favourite shots Here are the highlights of the outfits: First outfit: Possibly jumpsuit with belt, 80s Cat Eye glasses, drop earrings, leather gloves with eyelets Very minimalist here with a navy blazer and white shirt. Love the raspberry lip. Flashy gold earrings here.  Veiled hat, large stud earrings, white coat and a lizard brooch (love that detail; I believe in Ancient Egypt, lizards symbolise divine wisdom)  Perhaps my favourite dress. A drop nec

Review: W.Dressroom Dress & Living Clear Perfume

 I came across W.Dressroom while I was looking for an alternative to candles. With endorsements from Kpop idols/celebrities such as BTS Jungkook and Wanna One/ NU'EST Minhyun, they're popular amongst kpop fans. Retailers claim it to be affordable luxury, taking a similar concept to that of Jo Malone (making a scent available in various forms). The most easily accessible version is the mist, however, you can find candles, hand cream, reed diffusers and more of the range from YesStyle. I purchased mine from The Sesame Shop and arranged a pick-up, but this option is only available to Sydneysiders. Green Grape Sorbet and Peach Blossom are both very fruity. The floral edge is more noticeable in the grape than the peach. Peach Blossom smells straight up like peach. April Cotton is powdery and clean, much like laundry detergent and soap. Out of the three, I recommend April Cotton. It's the only scent I'd consider purchasing again. However, the quality leaves something

Inspiration: You Who Came from the Stars/ My Love from Another Star

The world has witnessed the power of product placement, after many of the lipsticks worn by Cheon Song Yi (played by Jun Ji-hyun, also known as Gianna Jun) were sold out and has a wait list. This includes YSL Rouge pur Couture in #52 Rosy Coral, which had been  sold out worldwide . It was later released that the lipstick shade in question was made from various products and none were from YSL. AmorePacific was one of their sponsors and provided most of the products used while  YSL just got a free ride . Nevertheless, Rosy Coral was a popular shade prior to the drama release but it probably wouldn't have sold out if it weren't for the rumour circulating. I've put some time aside for a drama marathon and watched all the episodes. I joined the masses of people, swept in the craze to purchase what she wore and even to eat her favourite food & drink: chicken and beer . I think it's mostly Jun Ji-hyun's charisma that sells these products. While I don't feel com