Skip to main content

Inspiration: The Night Circus

My copy of The Night Circus
UK/Australian edition of The Night Circus
The Night Circus is written by Erin Morgenstern. It was a book I happened to pick up in the beginning of my travels in the US back in Christmas 2011 and into the new year for 2012. It's a phantasmagorical novel featuring a travelling circus that only opens at night. Two magicians who had been groomed to be opponents in a "competition" happen to fall in love. Most of the cover is black and white because the circus in the book is completely monochrome, except for the rêveurs (the circus fans) who wear items of red so others can identify them. 

I thought this novel was cleverly written and the descriptions of the circus were so intricate, I felt like I was almost there. There are a couple of allusions to Shakespeare's works - particularly Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet. Some of themes in this book are heavy and philosophical, so it would be understood better by maturer readers. It is not written as a linear story, giving us various perspectives but these points-of-view join up together in the end. The book focuses more on the circus and its development rather than the two main characters and their love, so I didn't feel much chemistry between the two lovers. I'd love to go more in depth about the book but then it wouldn't be a fashion blog post.

In terms of fashion, I had always imagined the characters in steampunk garb. The novel certainly had a setting that was inspired by steampunk. However, I was particularly inspired by the black, white and red of the book covers and in the books. 

In fact, I had thought of the Kuranosuke Stripe Jumperskirt in Baby the Stars Shine Bright's Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish) collaboration. To be accurate, it was in Alice & the Pirates (one of the lines of Baby the Stars Shine Bright that focuses on a pirate/punk/goth aesthetic). 

I thought I would coordinate an outfit with stripes and the black-white-red theme. I typically don't reach for stripes. I really liked the idea of wearing stripes back in high school but I never really went for it because I was most comfortable in plaid.

I recalled an outfit on Aria (from Pretty Little Liars) that changed my mind on sheer clothing:
The outfit was gorgeous and I loved the pleated skirt. Initially, I thought it was a dress and apparently, all of those items are from American Apparel. It was a puffy sheer blouse over a striped bodysuit and paired with the pleated skirt, it ended up looking like a dress. Definitely not something a high schooler would wear to school but it certainly gave me ideas.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything vertically striped. I gained my love for vertical stripes since the day I saw the K-ON first season ending where Yui (one of the main characters) with vertical striped stockings.

I would've loved to do a cosplay with this outfit... even more epic with a Les Paul.
I fooled around with Polyvore to come up with this:
There are supposed to be two outfits in mind here. I tried for a dressier one for a night out and a slightly more casual outfit for the day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration: Catherine Deneuve - The Hunger

The Hunger (1983) is the last film collaboration Catherine Deneuve had with Yves Saint Laurent. 80s fashion suited the thousand-year-old Egyptian vampire, Miriam -- accessories were bold and flashy, the shoulder pads making one seem more confident and powerful. In fact, every time I use my YSL lipstick, I'm reminded of this movie -- something about YSL and the flashy gold packaging makes me recall this film. This vampire movie had its flaws but I will acknowledge that it was beautiful, aesthetically speaking. My favourite shots Here are the highlights of the outfits: First outfit: Possibly jumpsuit with belt, 80s Cat Eye glasses, drop earrings, leather gloves with eyelets Very minimalist here with a navy blazer and white shirt. Love the raspberry lip. Flashy gold earrings here.  Veiled hat, large stud earrings, white coat and a lizard brooch (love that detail; I believe in Ancient Egypt, lizards symbolise divine wisdom)  Perhaps my favourite dress. A drop nec

Review: W.Dressroom Dress & Living Clear Perfume

 I came across W.Dressroom while I was looking for an alternative to candles. With endorsements from Kpop idols/celebrities such as BTS Jungkook and Wanna One/ NU'EST Minhyun, they're popular amongst kpop fans. Retailers claim it to be affordable luxury, taking a similar concept to that of Jo Malone (making a scent available in various forms). The most easily accessible version is the mist, however, you can find candles, hand cream, reed diffusers and more of the range from YesStyle. I purchased mine from The Sesame Shop and arranged a pick-up, but this option is only available to Sydneysiders. Green Grape Sorbet and Peach Blossom are both very fruity. The floral edge is more noticeable in the grape than the peach. Peach Blossom smells straight up like peach. April Cotton is powdery and clean, much like laundry detergent and soap. Out of the three, I recommend April Cotton. It's the only scent I'd consider purchasing again. However, the quality leaves something

Inspiration: You Who Came from the Stars/ My Love from Another Star

The world has witnessed the power of product placement, after many of the lipsticks worn by Cheon Song Yi (played by Jun Ji-hyun, also known as Gianna Jun) were sold out and has a wait list. This includes YSL Rouge pur Couture in #52 Rosy Coral, which had been  sold out worldwide . It was later released that the lipstick shade in question was made from various products and none were from YSL. AmorePacific was one of their sponsors and provided most of the products used while  YSL just got a free ride . Nevertheless, Rosy Coral was a popular shade prior to the drama release but it probably wouldn't have sold out if it weren't for the rumour circulating. I've put some time aside for a drama marathon and watched all the episodes. I joined the masses of people, swept in the craze to purchase what she wore and even to eat her favourite food & drink: chicken and beer . I think it's mostly Jun Ji-hyun's charisma that sells these products. While I don't feel com